Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Steinbeck

I love books! Just love em! However, I hate paying full price for a book as I have posted before. (And no, I will not succumb to the communistic or democratic carcinogenic ideation of a Kindle, thank you very much!)

So, I check out the selection at thrift stores from time to time and found a John Steinbeck, whom I have never read, called Travels with Charley. It is a gem! It basically chronicles his travels across America in 1961 and the interesting people he meets along the way. Very good and humorous while being surprisingly deep at times.

At one point he comes into contact with the immigration services and has a bit of a run in over nothing really and he writes: "Before I went to sleep I went over all the things I wished I had said to that immigration man, and some of them were incredibly clever and cutting." Ha! Haven't we all been there!

Later, he writes of visiting different churches along his journey and one in particular, a Vermont church where a pastor brings the message of fire-and-brimstone unlike any Steinbeck had heard to which Steinbeck writes: "He forged a religion designed to last, not predigested obsolescence."

Not predigested obsolescence....I love that!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I've been working on my mind-control abilities, and the Kindle is in your future.... :)