Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dilemma? Pretty Pastor or Not?

I would love your thoughts on this. As I have written, we are going to start visiting churches tomorrow and I have had a moment of self-discovery. I am not sure how to put it in simple terms so I will just ramble and you will get the point. I have been doing some on-line research for churches. Checking doctrine, youth programs, etc. And have come to the conclusion that I don't like preachers to look "pretty". It makes me uncomfortable if he looks like he just walked out of a Toni & Guy salon. I don't know why exactly. Maybe he looks like he spends too much time "manscaping" or uses botox. It shouldn't bother me but it does. I am not saying the picture can't look trendy or for the guy to have a trendy hair cut or even done with nice clothing, but if he looks like he takes more time to get ready than I do or has more highlights, then I am just not interested. And I am sure somewhere at pastor conferences they discuss how to look more hip and connect with a younger audience along with dialog about using power point vs not using power point. I just don't want my pastor to look like Billy Ray Cirus (presently not achey breaky heart days-the mullet wouldn't bother me a bit) or Max Headroom (all plasticy). Maybe because I think it would be hard to take him seriously if he looks like he is that into his appearance....any thoughts? So, needless to say I was debating about which church to try tomorrow and clicked on pastor pics and my decision was very clear. How much thought do the pastors put into what kind of picture to put on the web...my guess is quite a bit.

2 comments:

Robert Conn said...

Shelly, clothes are deceiving. I mean some people just look cool in anything (i.e. not me). Others have to work wot look cool. Some over do it because they think their coolness gives them an edge over all the not-cool people. That's pride but hey we all struggle with something right.

I've always overlooked clothing styles. I dress the way I dress for two reasons. 1) I can't afford the really cool looking clothing, and 2) clothes are a means to an end (and that end is a shower and some sleeping shorts).

I say listen to what he has to say. If his words are as slick as his hair then run like a scalded ape. You can pretty much tell a pastor's heart by his message. If he's a name it claim it guy, or a best life now guy, or plant the faith seed guy. Authentic faith (may dress cool) but will always be cool.

Shelly said...

Thanks for the pastor's perspective! I agree with you on clothes, however I can't get past a purple sparkly shirt...they make those for guys??
Thanks Robert for keeping it real!
(and loved the scalded ape!)