Sunday, May 16, 2010

Our Brush with Fame (kinda)

I got the blessing of hanging out with my sweet friend, Carolyn Churchill, for a short time today while she is in town from Oklahoma watching grandkids. Our conversation drifted to her dear friend of many years, Kay Larsen. I know of Kay just as one of Carolyn's friends. She begins to tell me of Kay's (and her husband) amazing life as a bible translator for a Mayan Indian tribe in Mexico, Wycliffe Bible Translators. This perks my ears up because I have heard that somewhere in Kami's homeschooling studies but couldn't place it. Carolyn is basically writing Kay's life story and has known her since the 60s. Any what a servant Kay is!
I get home and ask Kami about the Wycliffe name and it turns out she read about the founder, Cameron Townsend, in a book by the same name. I relay this to Carolyn via text and it turns out "Unlce Cam" ,as Kay knows him, was actually the very one who sent her and her beloved groom to Mexico!
How cool is that and what a small world we live in! Thanks Carolyn for being a faithful friend and servant to us all, especially Kay and can't wait to read this mighty woman's legacy.
And it dawns on me as I am so star struck by the whole situation, that the real "celebrity" is always just a thought a way. My sweet Jesus. AND he wants to spend time with little ole me...how humbling.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

awesome. and i'm jealous. of carolyn and Jesus getting to spend time with you!
i love you!