Monday, May 17, 2010

Slow and Painful Death..By Coupons

So we started the Dave Ramsey Money Makeover in March with goals of no debt before we buy a house. No school loans, no car payments. A decision made in haste now that I think about it more clearly. Now, don't get me wrong. I am all for this. I have prayed my hubby would get on the Ramsey ban wagon for many a years. He is on. I, however, want to jump off the moving wagon and rip my sack cloth. I still love the idea. I still love the end result (or what I imagine it will be like) but two things this week are wearing me thin.
The tiny little rent house we are currently living in and clipping coupons. Now, the issue with the townhouse is not the size although it is small but how much space does one really need? It is that we can not do anything to it. My creative expression to create a "home" is stifled! I must create! I must paint! I must re-tile! I must hang a photo, for all that is good and holy! My sketches of remodeling the kitchen or dry stacking the fireplace are nothing more than unused napkins. I finally gave in and hung up one wall hanging that I got for Christmas that says, "Welcome. Christ is the head of this house and the unseen guest in every room." I am pretty sure somewhere there is a commandment about "Thou shall not have white walls." HGTV and DIY is just too painful any more. Possibly living here without decorating makes it seem like we are still in transition?
The coupon clipping is driving me crazy! A hour a week of work to save 5 bucks! We have stayed on budget of $100.00 a week for groceries but my sanity has got to be worth more. Something about this week has made the task slightly better than a hot poker to the eye. Possibly PMS? And sweet Mo is helping me and clipping with me and running the calculator for me and going to the store with me, which he has never done in 14 years of marriage, but when you just want to get the food and get out, it is just a slow and painful death.
And at the risk of sounding like a spoiled 2 year old: Ladies and Gentleman, the new has worn off the Money Makeover! The Honeymoon has ended!

1 comment:

Shelly Conn said...

Sorry about that! We have not done the Ramsey thing. I would like to. I think. But we just have one car loan and our house for debt. So, sorry Ramsey I know that is bad!! Let me know how it goes!!