Monday, September 1, 2008

The Shack

OK. I have tried to compile my thoughts on this book and just can't seem to do it. So, I will just write. And I knew it was fiction from the get go, I started it with an open mind. Surprisingly the things that bugged some folks, didn't bother me. I was OK with God being able to take on other forms (ie a woman). He is God. He can do what He wants. And Jesus as a Middle Eastern man was fine (I already knew he wasn't a white guy.). I didn't like that the Holy Spirit was called something else. Sarayu???? Whatever. Also, this book affected me very deeply which didn't bother me either. Except my sleeping.
I feel like whatever I needed to get out of the book. I did. I faced some challenges of my unbelief. Not belief of the story but that God is good all the time and that everything, EVERYTHING works to His good. If you have read the book, you know exactly what I mean. Toward the end, it got a bit too encompassing for my taste. All religious roads lead to Jesus???
I have a very compassionate heart for hurting children. And, to be quite truthful, I want people who do horrible things to children to burn in hell. That's why God is God and I am not. Lots of people have monsters for parents but at some point you have a choice to make to be a product of them or not. Yes, I know, a sin is a sin and anyone can repent at anytime and be welcome in heaven. I know this in my head, but in all my humanness I want them to fry.
And while I am open that something similar could happen to a person. Far be it from me to limit how God could appear to someone. The book just got to be too much work to read in some parts. I mean, I was reading paragraphs over a few times and was getting out my bible to cross check stuff and it just wore me out!! It got to be too "new agie" if you know what I mean. I would like to have read a more "definite" postion on the biblical teaching of Christ being the way to enter heaven and such.
So, all in all. Pretty good book but I had to work to finish it. You might enjoy it if you understand that it is FICTION.
But in the end, I would love to have an experience with God like that. To sit with Him and talk, to go for a walk with Jesus and to spend the day in the garden with the Holy Spirit. Maybe I am a bit jealous of Mack's time with God. To have that kind of time now on such a 3 dimensional level and then come to tell others about it....Awesome.

5 comments:

Pop White said...

Hey Shellhead! Did you get permission from Lanny to read that book? :) God as a women? Havn't read that in the Bible?
Love you anyway, Pop White

Shelly said...

isnt it interesting that the men are the ones with the problem of God being protrayed by a woman? If you read the book, you would find that He was actually a He not a she but appeared as a she for the benefit of Mack.
Who is to say that God could not do that???

Stacey said...

my sentiments exactly (on the book, not my dad!). no wonder you're my best friend. :)

Pop White said...

You girls always "ganging up" on the old guy!
Still love you both!

Mimi said...

I am jumping in here!! I think it is an interesting way to stretch people from putting God in a box and at the same time have to wonder what that kind of intimacy really looks like...........do I have it? Try The Room of Marvels by James Bryan Smith for another fiction that helps to stretch your paradigms about God, heaven, suffering, etc. Not as far out there as The Shack, but a good read. Quick one, too.