Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dinner is Served

You often hear people (mostly famous ones) respond to the question, "Who would you invite living or dead to dinner?". I never really thought of my answer but I have had the most interesting list of guests pop in my head this last few minutes. One of my guests would be Corrie ten Boom. I am reading her devotional and I checked out The Hiding Place yesterday from the library. I just find her adorable looking and so fascinating. She looks so tiny and I just want to put her in my pocket! Today in the devo she writes, "Oh Lord, thank You that Your side of the embroidery of our life is always perfect. That is such a comfort when our side is sometimes so mixed up.". It reminds me of my cross stitching days as a young girl and the back always looked like a disaster. You couldn't make heads or tails out of it! My mom would always encourage me, "Don't worry about the back. No one looks at the back. They only see the front."
What a joy to know that our Father can take a jumbled up "back" and make it a beautiful "front"! It is so easy for us to let our "backs", our past, determine our "fronts",our future. How sad that must make God feel when we take our eyes off Him and focus on our past. I think He wants to take our faces in His hands and say, "Baby girl, I fixed it already. I fixed it. It is nailed to the cross.". What a comfort to know that it doesn't matter how you start, just how you finish. What a divine thought that when we get to heaven, no one is looking at the "back",only our perfect "fronts".