Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sleep Prayin'

I have a confession. I sleep and pray at the same time or at least start praying and fall asleep. Now, I do love to pray and often pray during the day at various times, but when I lay me down to sleep, that is when I like to just let it all hang out. But the fly in the ointment is I don't let much hang out! I am usually asleep in no time.
Now not long ago I found a verse that supported this kind of praying and I am going to find it again and post it. You will see.
Here is how a typical night will go: lay down, start praying, nod off, wake up (yes, I wake up several times a night--I am a mom for pete's sake! I haven't slept through the night in 12 years!), check on the kids, lay down again, start praying, wake up again and start praying and so on.
I don't think God minds this so much since even the disciples couldn't stay a wake just so long as I keep praying. It doesn't have to be much of anything important we talk about. I am just sharing what is on my heart and lifting people up to the Lord or telling Him how great He is or sing a praise song that is stuck in my head. And before you know it I am back asleep.
Or sometimes I will be startled awake and will just start praying for whomever He lays on my heart at that minute, even if I can't put my finger on whom, I just start praying for whomever is hurting, not sleeping either, or worried or scared. I don't have to know their name. That's the beauty of sleep prayin'. He does and evidently He thought they could use someone calling out to the heavens in their name. So, the next time you can't sleep because your heart is troubled, ask Jesus to wake me up and pray on your behalf. And while you are praying, I will be praying and you won't be alone anymore. Like right now.
Good Night.

4 comments:

Robert Conn said...

Thanks for the post. The worst is when you're praying with the spouse and fall asleep and then are awaken by their laughter.

Or so I hear...

the trejos said...

I am so glad someone else does that too. I need to know that scripture too! I have always felt so guilty about it. but I find I dream about the person or problem I am praying for...

Rachel said...

I do this too! I would love to know the verse as well! Glad I'm not the only one. And I agree, that time is when I do my serious praying, even though I pray throughout the day! Love ya girl!

Mandy said...

Hey! I SO do this too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I like to think God doesn't mind, and is rather amused by us. Like when our own children fall asleep telling us about their day...